[Mingw-users] Deprecation of __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO

Back to archive index
Keith Marshall keith****@users*****
Mon Jan 7 08:10:34 JST 2019

On 05/01/19 20:46, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> One might have hoped that the Gnulib folks would know better, but
>> ah well!  Is there *really* no better feature test they could have
>> chosen?
>
> I don't know.  I guess they've done it for pragmatic reasons,

I'd guess at expediency, over pure pragmatism ... doesn't alter the
reality that it's bad software engineering, and likely to bite when I
change the internal interpretation, to accommodate planned future
enhancements to the related subsystem.

> and because they really don't know (and don't want to know) too much
> about MinGW.  Someone told them this worked, so they picked it up.
> Who knows?

I guess the engineers at Nypro UK thought they were being pragmatic too,
when they implemented their expedient modification, which ultimately led
to the destruction of their Flixborough plant on June 1st, 1974, with
the consequent loss of 28 human lives, severe injury to a further 36,
and substantial damage to nearby residential property.  As a Chartered
Engineer, with 25+ years experience of writing software to control
similar process plant, I really cannot condone the class of substandard
engineering which this warning aims to, at least, bring to the attention
of those who might do something about it.

Okay, that may be an extreme example, and this particular case may never
lead to such disastrous consequences, but as professionals, we simply
cannot afford to be complacent.

--
Regards,
Keith.