[Mingw-users] Extract tar in windows ?

Back to archive index

Eli Zaretskii eliz****@gnu*****
Wed Apr 18 16:00:08 JST 2018

> From: Ran Shalit <ransh****@gmail*****>
> Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 08:23:13 +0300
>
> I would like to use specific linaro toolchain version 6.2.1:
> https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/6.2-2016.11/arm-linux-gnueabihf/
>
> gcc-linaro-6.2.1-2016.11-i686_arm-linux-gnueabi.tar.xz
>
> But trying to extract the folder in windows with 7z manager results in
> complain about identical names (symbolic links probably).
> Is there a simple way to extract it in windows ?

Yes, use bsdtar.exe from libarchive.  There are Windows ports floating
around.  I stopped using 7z completely since I have bsdtar, since the
latter does everything the former can (everything I care about, that
is), and is Free Software.  The version I use is here:

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/libarchive-3.3.1-w32-bin.zip/download