[Mingw-users] Shell is stripping curly braces in Git for Windows

Back to archive index

Eli Zaretskii eliz****@gnu*****
Mon Apr 16 00:23:31 JST 2018

> From: Keith Marshall <keith****@users*****>
> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 19:42:54 +0100
>
> > Moreover, if I invoke a MinGW program with this argument, it
> > receives the literal @{-1} as well in its argv[] array.
>
> ... while that may be true when brace expansion has not been enabled,
> (by default, it is not), I do see two bugs in mingwrt's implementation
> of glob(3), when the feature is enabled:
>
>   $ cmd
>   Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
>   (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
>   C:\mingw\msys\1.0\home\keith> showargv @{-1}
>   command: showargv @{-1}
>   argv[00]: showargv
>   argv[01]: @-1

I tried to reproduce this behavior, but couldn't.  Eventually, I came
to the conclusion that I don't understand what you meant by "feature
is enabled".  AFAIK, the default for MinGW is to use MinGW globbing
(as opposed to the one provided by MSVCRT.DLL), and that invokes
'glob' under the hood, no?

Can you tell what exactly does showargv does to "enable the feature"?

Thanks.